We are currently not able to offer massage therapy treatments due to national lockdown restrictions. Please see our home page for latest updates.
When we are able to re-start, the following guidelines will apply, subject to any updated advice or regulations for close contact services.
MASSAGE THERAPY TREATMENTS: NEW PROCEDURES TO
REDUCE RISK OF COVID19 TRANSMISSION
I am delighted to be able to offer massage treatments again and
look forward to welcoming clients back.
At this time of additional stress and social isolation the benefits of touch
therapies are even more crucial.
As with many other areas of life there are some changes to how I am working, in order to keep everyone as safe as possible. I am grateful to clients for following these new processes, to reduce the risk for themselves, myself and my household, and fellow clients.
These procedures have been developed in light of both government guidelines and recommendations from my professional body (Federation of Holistic Therapists).
Firstly consider – is a massage right for you, at this point in time?
Massage therapy brings many benefits for both our physical and mental health. However ,there are times when it is best not to have a treatment.
Are you well?
If you are unwell in any way, please do not come for a massage. Not only may you be infectious, but your body is busy fighting off your illness and may not respond well to a massage. The increased in circulation etc. that follows a massage can bring on a healing crisis, leading your illness to spike.
Might you have Covid19, or have been in contact with someone who may have it?
Please do not attend for a treatment if :
- you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of Covid 19 (see nhs.uk) – if you have these symptoms you should contact 111.
- you have tested positive for Covid-19 – please wait until you are clear and advised it is safe to do so
- anyone in your household or support bubble have symptoms of Covid 19
- you have been in close contact with anyone else in the past 14 days who has symptoms of Covid19
- you have been contacted by the NHS test and trace service and told to self isolate.
If you have previously had Covid 19 but are now well and no longer need to self isolate, please seek permission from your GP or consultant before booking a treatment.
What is your personal risk?
Although I am doing everything I can to reduce risk to clients, massage therapy does involve close contact and therefore is not risk free. Please consider your own risk profile and those you are caring for.
If you are classed as an extremely vulnerable person (high risk) and require shielding, you are strongly recommended to defer treatments. I am not currently offering treatments to anyone who falls in this category.
If you are classed as a vulnerable person (moderate risk) it is necessary to decide if the benefit of treatment is likely to outweigh any potential risk. This includes pregnant clients. You must seek permission from your GP, midwife or consultant before having a treatment.
Choice of treatment
The current guidelines stipulate that treatment time should be no longer than an hour.
I am also currently not offering facial treatments, as these represent a higher level of risk.
The treatments available are being reviewed on an ongoing basis, currently I am able to offer:
30 minute treatment of back, neck and shoulders (lying face down)
Additional treatments up to a maximum of 60 minutes:
Legs – additional 15 mins
Feet / hands / head – each – additional 10 mins £5
1 hour full body massage
Please remember that for any treatments where you are laying face up (feet, hands, front of legs, head) you will need to wear a mask – details below.
Pre-Appointment Consultation Form
Ahead of your appointment I will send you a consultation form to complete which will include questions relating specifically to Covid19 as well as about your general health.
You will be asked to complete this online and return with an email confirming that the information you have provided is correct and that you consent to treatment.
I am asking all clients if possible to pay for their treatment using BACS. This reduces any contact with cash or card machines as well as visits to the bank. Account details will be given to you when you make an appointment. If this presents a problem to you, please get in touch to discuss alternative ways to pay.
Gift vouchers of course remain valid – I will ask for the number on the gift voucher to confirm with my records.
What I am doing to keep my premises and my work as safe as possible
All good massage therapists already work to a high standard of cleanliness and this is an important part of our training. As such many of the provisions were already in place, some have been added as additional protection.
- Exterior door knocker and handle, room door handles, light switches cleaned and disinfected
- Toilet cleaned and disinfected and paper towels available for drying hands
- All towels and blankets changed in between each client and washed on a high heat setting
- Massage couch thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, with particular attention given to the face rest area
- Sofa (client seating) covered with a blanket/throw changed between clients and washed thoroughly. Additional cushions have been removed.
Please be aware that I work from my home and have endeavoured to create a relaxing and homely environment, therefore not everything in the room is a wipeable hard service e.g. carpet.
For myself as therapist I will be:
- washing and sanitising my hands before and after each treatment, as well as when handling used towels etc.
- wearing a face shield/goggles and Type 2 mask, in line with government guidance
- wearing clean therapist clothes for each client and/or wearing a disposable apron over my regular therapist clothes
- keeping a 1-2m distance when not carrying out the actual treatment
- Leaving additional time between appointments to allow for extra cleaning
Please note I will not be wearing gloves – government guidance gives exemption for this where skin to skin contact is crucial for the treatment.
I will also be regularly checking my own temperature and being aware of any risk of Covid19 infection for me and my household.
On the day
- Please be aware of any new symptoms – if you have any concerns however minor please call to rearrange your appointment. (Equally if I develop symptoms I will contact you to defer)
- Please try to stick to appointment times; this helps me with additional cleaning between clients
- Attend the appointment on your own – if someone is driving you they should wait in the car
- Bring your own bottle of water
- Please bring as little other belongings as possible
- From 8 August it is mandatory in England for clients to wear a face covering for private complementary therapy treatments. Therefore you will be required to wear a mask for your appointment.
- Exemptions are made for those who are unable to wear a mask for health reasons – if this is the case please mention when booking your appointment so we can ensure suitable alternative arrangements can be made.
- It is also recognised that wearing a face covering may not be possible when lying face down as it may restrict breathing in this position. You will therefore be able to remove your mask when lying face down on the couch; as we will not be face to face at this point this reduces the risk. You will however need to continue wearing your mask for any treatments where you are lying face up (e.g hand massage)
- When you arrive I will check that you are well and take your temperature with an infrared non- contact thermometer. If your temperature is above 37.8 degrees you will be asked to return home immediately and we will rearrange your appointment once you are well.
- We will go straight through to the treatment room where you will get changed as usual. You will be asked to place all your clothes (including coat) and belongings on the sofa which will be covered in a blanket which is changed for each client.
- The treatment will proceed as usual. Hopefully at this point you can relax and enjoy a little taste of normality!
- After your treatment you are welcome to sit for a short while to come round and drink your water.
- As usual you are welcome to use the bathroom before or after your treatment.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the new arrangements please do get in touch
NB: If you develop symptoms of Covid19 following a treatment, please keep me informed so I can take the necessary actions. Thank you